If they have become dry to touch, simply re-wet by placing them in a bowl of tepid water. Place back in to the tray and allow to drain fully before use. The cubes should be spongy and moist – not saturated. Unused cubes should be wrapped in a plastic bag to prevent drying.
Ideally the cubes should be at room temperature. If stored in the cold, bring them into the growing area beforehand and allow adjusting.
- Select cutting material – most species are best propagated from fleshy softwood tips. Prepare the material by cutting diagonally below a node or stem swelling. Remove all but a couple of leaves; large leaves should be cut in half to reduce water loss.
- Dip the cut end into Clonex Rooting Gel and then place gently into the pre-formed hole in the top of the cube. If the hole is too big for the stem, simply make a smaller hole next to it with a pointed instrument. Do not force the cutting in, insert it just far enough to support it.
- Mist cuttings with tepid water and cover the tray with a clear lid or plastic bag to increase humidity. Maintain this humidity with regular misting. If possible, bottom heat is advisable – a heated propagator or heat mat is ideal although a warm windowsill may be sufficient.
- Simply pop one or two seeds into the hole of the cube.
- Gently tease the corner off the cube and pop in the top to cover the seeds.
- Put the tray in a warm place until germination.
Keep an eye on the moisture in the cubes, especially in warm conditions, which will speed drying out. Ideally, moisture should just come to the surface when squeezed. If not, gently water the cubes and then drain well. Be careful not to waterlog, this would encourage mould growth and suffocate the roots. Check root growth by carefully picking up the cube from the tray. Do not pull out by the young plant; this will damage delicate roots that are trying to form. Once seeds have germinated, give them plenty of light. When roots are visible, the new plant is ready to be potted on or planted out. Cubes can also now be transferred in to any growing system.
Available in a 24 cube tray and refill, resealable bags of either 50 or 100 cubes